Monday 16 May 2011

That's what I call a longbeard!

This happy chappy made me laugh, he has the best beard in the world. Coincidentally, I am thinking about updating my dwarf army to convert it from 7th edition to 8th edition style, so I have been browsing various forums to see how the stout ones have been affected.

It's pretty glum reading in some respect, as armies seem to gravitate toward a certain style. For dwarfs this means taking a runelord, a thane army standard, 40 great weapons in a horde unit, a unit of Hammerers, some rangers, and one each of a cannon, grudge thrower and organ gun. That's if I want to build a competitive list.

But what if I want to continue using my army of old? It has unit sizes of 7th edition, 15 longbeards, 20 warriors and the like. Should I boost these to the bigger units of 30 or even 40 strong. Or should I stubbornly refuse to change in true dwarf fashion, clinging to the old ways? Is it better to follow the path already forged by countless players around the world, or should I plot my own course?

3 comments:

Dennis said...

A bit of both I think is the way to go. Point for both, the 40 GW Dwarf Warriors are one of the best value units in Warhammer right now, but that doesn't mean you have to play it that way. You're going to need more than 15-20, but you can do quite well with units of just 25-30, but you're going to need to work together in order to tackle nasty foes.

Hammerers are great buys, but that doesn't mean Ironbreakers are useless. Longbeards lost a lot of their usefullness now that fear isn't that big of a deal, especially not for dwarfs, but that doesn't mean you can't make good use of them. The Longbeard Rangers with throwing axes is a nasty unit.

As a rule of thumb as you go along, I think the smaller the units you'll bring, the more they're going to have to work together to take out foes. Which obviously will require more from you as the player, going further than just pointing at the things you want to shoot at early on, then charge in with your GW Hordes once the enemy gets close. The more I think about it, the more boring a "standard" Dwarf army becomes to me.

Black Bard said...

I would at least have enough to put the horde together when you feel the need to be competitive, otherwise see if the old boys can't get the odd win old school!!

Nord said...

Thanks for the comments guys, I was leaning towards making the units up to 25, rather than 30 or 40, then seeing how they coped. I still have this thought in the back of my mind that 2 units of 20 has to be better tactically than one all-eggs-in-one-basket unit of 40, despite what the internet tells me. I certainly would not take specials in units greater than 25, I have a phobia about spending more than 300 points on one unit. I guess I am a cautious player!

Interesting suggestion on making the longbeards into rangers. I have a unit of 15 already painted up, so I guess I could make them into a small unit of around 12 rangers. Just wondering on the longevity of such a unit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...