Thursday 27 January 2011

A Chaos Champion arises

I played the Clash of Champions scenario over the weekend. My fledgling chaos champion, Ragnar the Undecided, led his troops into the chaos forest seeking glory. Both he and his rival chaos champion broke off from the combat to search the ogre infested woods (every guardian we rolled turned out to be an ogre). Both were successful and emerged with chaos rewards and magic items! And both armies virtually destroyed each other in the six turns we played (not surprising perhaps as the armies were almost identical and equally destructive). A well fought draw was a good result for the start of what will be a fairly long campaign.

The final tally for Ragnar was the acquisition of the Glaive of Putrefaction, and two chaos rewards - Iron hard Skin and Flames of Chaos. For me, this suggests mostly favour from Nurgle, so I decided to paint up the metal Nurgle champion model in preparation for future scenarios. However, after an hour of searching the model could not be found. This means two things - (i) my pile of unpainted minis needs a major tidying up and (ii) Ragnar will have to be constructed from plastic bits instead. At first I struggled with ideas on how to convert a chaos warrior into a convincing champion, but then I realised that perhaps I was looking at the problem from the wrong angle. Ragnar shall not struggle into battle on foot, but riding on a mighty chaos steed.

This got me thinking about Ragnar's retinue. Of course he will have to be accompanied by a unit of chaos knights. A unit of six knights led into battle by Ragnar, making the magical Nurgle number of seven, is the next project in the army. Well, the next construction project, I have a half-painted unit that I am hoping to complete in time for the next scenario.

4 comments:

redmanphill said...

He looks nice, I am looking forward to reading more!

Dennis said...

Looks great dude, very nice job.

noeste said...

A very nice paint job, and thanks for creating and sharing those scenario rules with us!

I'll be following the progress of Ragnar with interest; lovely to see you pouring so much effort and soul into this project!

Nord said...

Cheers guys. Creating scenarios adds so much to the game, and it takes just an hour or so - nothing compared to the effort required to paint your army! I highly recommend you sit down with pen and paper and scribble down your own ideas, you will not regret it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...