Saturday 23 April 2011

Blood Bowl Pitch

Good afternoon sports fans and welcome to the new season of.....

It was my son who got me involved in Blood Bowl. He plays it over the summer holidays with a group of friends and I watched a couple of games and got interested. A couple of years ago I made a Norse team from some spare plastic marauders, played a couple of games and then put them back in the cabinet.

Recently I have played the odd game of Blood Bowl Legendary Edition on the PC, using a Norse team of course. We don't actually own a physical board so if we want to play in the real world (as opposed to the virtual world), we have to borrow a board and all the bits that go with it - the rules are freely available to download on the web. So I put on my Blue Peter thinking cap and got busy.


An old grass battle mat, a pair of scissors, a steel rule, a pencil and a couple of hours of measuring, cutting and marking lines with white paint. That's the basic recipe and technique for a homemade pitch, copying the measurements from a real board. I added a couple of touches of my own, blood stains, mud patches and even a message from the game sponsors. All I need now are the blocking dice, a range measure, and plenty of lucky rerolls!

4 comments:

Bix said...

You've got some great Turf there HH :)

The mud & blood effect has really added to the realism of the pitch. And the line markings are suitably worn.

I haven't played Blood Bowl in a scarily long time. But seeing this makes me want to lace up my iron shod boots again.

redmanphill said...

How did you get the lines on the pitch. Okay I can imagine the white lines were handy enough. Its the fine dark lines I am really wondering about! The pitch looks great.

Nord said...

I marked out the lines with a steel rule and blunt pencil. The pencil scores a line through the surface of the grass mat. The white lines are just painted on, the dark crosses at the intersections of the grid I marked with a felt tip pen.

If I was doing it again, I would cut a wider piece and mark out the dugouts too.

redmanphill said...

Hmmmm so I will have to try this. Especially if it is as easy as you are making out.... Somehow I doubt it is!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...